The British Army has launched ‘Start Thinking Soldier’, a series of live events where the public will be allowed to test their army skills on a 3D virtual technology simulator.
The drive to encourage young people to consider a career in the military will be take place during the summer at locations throughout the UK.
Participants will be aided by real soldiers in five virtual challenges that require key army proficiencies. These include physical fitness, mental agility, problem solving, observation, leadership, team building and decision making.
Performance will be logged via radio frequency identification wristbands, and budding soldiers will be debriefed by army personnel upon completion of the tasks to assess there performance.
The challenges the public will undertake include:
- Run with the army – keep pace running through a series of challenges with a virtual squad of soldiers, featuring real-life footage
- On target – testing out a future weapons system with an innovative 3D head tracking targeting interface
- Night manoeuvres – taking control of a Challenger II tank at night
- Defused – defusing unexploded ordnance using a robot device and piloting a UAV over enemy terrain
- Viewpoint – work with the Royal Signals to knock out insurgent communications