TeleCommunication Systems Europe
Rugged Military Solid State Drives for the Defence and Aerospace Industries
TeleCommunication Systems' (TCS) Space & Component Technology division, headquartered in Torrance, California, specialises in high-reliability electronics components, innovative semiconductor packaging, survivable data storage, and ultra-rugged solid state drives (SSDs).
TeleCommunication Systems’ (TCS) Space & Component Technology division, headquartered in Torrance, California, specialises in high-reliability electronics components, innovative semiconductor packaging, survivable data storage, and ultra-rugged solid state drives (SSDs).
TCS also designs and operates turnkey ground stations for national space agencies. For over 30 years, TCS has delivered high-reliability electronic components and subsystems to the aerospace and defence industries.
Rugged military solid state drives with NAND flash for military, army and aerospace applications
The APG Group designs and manufactures rugged solid-state drives (SSDs), radiation-tolerant electronic devices, and provides assembly capability. It offers strong expertise in multi-chip modules and 3D stacking, ASIC packaging, test and screening, system-in-package and custom build / packaging solutions.
TCS delivers a variety of SIP, MMIC, custom, and radiation tolerant products to several US primes and European defense contractors.
SSD industrial temperature range for military applications
With 35 years in the military and defence markets, TCS is fully aware of the need to design in quality and reliability into our drives. Unlike many of our competitors, we do not use controller reference designs.
Our drives are designed with industrial or military temperature range parts, taking into consideration thermal, mechanical and electrical requirements.
- Designed and manufactured in the USA at AS9100 certified facilities
- Built to IPC-610 class-3 level
- Employ only SLC NAND technology
- Forms 2.5 at 9.5mm, at 16mm, BGA and custom
- Capacity: 2.5 form 32GB to 256GB, BGA 8GB, 16GB and 32GB
- Near-term roadmap includes drives up to 400GB in capacity
- SATA 2.6 at 1.5 and 3.0GB/s
- Operating temperature: -40°C to +85°C
- Tested to boot cold from -60°C
- Standard military input voltage tolerance of ± 10%
- Low power requirements; integrated power-fail management
- Storage temperature: -50°C to +95°C
Solid state drives for high vibration applications
Solid state drives for high vibration applications drives designed for high vibration applications incorporating military PCB’s, eight mounts within an anodised milled aluminium package.
- Army vehicles
- Rugged army gun mounts
- Rugged military vibration sensitive SSD
- Rigorously tested and independently verified to MIL-STD-810
- Shock: 1,500G at 0.5ms
- Vibration: 16.3G minimum RMS, 20Hz to 2KHz, one hour per axis, three axes
- High altitude 80,000ft
- Random vibration options up to 45Grms available
- Mechanical shock tested at 50g at 1ms, ½ sine, six-direction, 3X
- Burned in for eight hours with option for 96-hour extended burn-in
- Other assembly options include conformal coating, silicone gel and epoxy staking solid state drive obsolescence
Solid state drive obsolescence
We assure continued availability to our military customers through our obsolescence management. We also introduce the possibility of providing our customers with advance notice of critical component EOL.
This allows for advance procurement of the current SSD by the customer or alternatively the ability to work with TCS in partnership to advance purchase critical components and controllers, in some cases also NAND flash.
Of course we also work with customers to preserve FFF SSD in terms of a cloned SSD utilising the latest controller and NAND flash technologies and providing a FFF replacement.
Solid state drive SSD Galatea 100GB 200GB encryption
Galatea solid state drives (SSDs) define the leading edge for performance and reliability in ultra-rugged mass storage.
These drives fit up to 200GB SLC NAND flash of user memory into standard 2.5in, thin (9.5mm height) dimensions and delivers sustained read / write rates of 280MB/s along with random read / write rates over 30,000 IOPS.
Combining 128-bit AES encryption with high-speed full-drive erasure (200GB in less than 1s) raises data security to new levels.
Solid state drive SSD ECC
Advanced error correction pushes the bit error rate a full two orders of magnitude beyond the industry standard, while exclusive write optimisation and wear-levelling techniques reduce erase / programme cycles and achieve a 20-fold increase in media life expectancy.
The Galatea Standard SATA supports the SATA II, revision 2.6, interface standard at 1.5Gb/s and 3.0Gb/s.
- Plug ‘n ‘play, independent of operating system
- No device driver development required
- Write protect and jumper
- ATA/ATAPI-7, SMART and TRIM supported
- Data retention: more than ten years
- Endurance: more than 100,000 writes
- MTBF: more than 1.24 million hours, Telcordia 25°C, 32GB SSD
- Resulting bit error rate less than one in 10e14 and better
Rugged 256GB SSD
The PROTEUS-Plus is available up to 256GB in SLC NAND flash, delivering sustained read/write speeds of 250MB/s and 205MB/s.
It is equipped with integrated hardware support for on-the-fly, per sector error detection and correction, and is protected by a precision-machined, anodised aluminum alloy case for ruggedness. Other features include:
- Fast erase <3s (256GB)
- Alternative erasure methods upon request
- Low-power, max read/write 1.30W/2.00W(128GB)
- 64MB cache enables high IOPS for small block random operations
- Supports SATA, revision 2.6, interface standard at up to 3.0GB/s
- ITAR free
Vibration and shock-resistant BGA package
The BGADrive is a complete BGA package solution that can be soldered directly to the motherboard. It is vibration and shock-resistant and has a sustained R/W speed of up to 45MB/s, with access time of 0.5ms.
The drive is operating system independent, resistant to extreme shock and vibration, and compact at 31mm x 31mm. It is equipped with a write protect pin and IDE Ultra-DMA 100.
Proteus plus embedded modules
The speed and ruggedness of the TCS’ Proteus Plus Solid State Drives is now available in bare board 2.5 PCA and MO-Series form factors for embedded use.
Available in capacities from 32GB to 256GB, these drives provide another option for delivering extreme ruggedness and reliability to applications where an industry standard drive form factor is too large.