Cobham Defence Communications
Battlefield Management Systems for Military Vehicle and Soldier Platforms
- Company Details
- Products & Services
- White Papers
- Press Releases
- Regional Offices
- Contact Company
Cobham Defence Communications (CDC) has developed a modern Battlefield Management System (BMS) for use in the military combat management arena. The BMS system is available for several platforms, with the most recent significant development the Integrated Digital Soldier System (IDSS). This provides a fully integrated Combat Management System (CMS), which allows units in contact with the enemy to monitor and react to the 'chaos of battle' with full Situational Awareness (SA), digital mapping navigation and integrated command and control.
INTEGRATED DIGITAL SOLDIER SYSTEM (IDSS)
A key to success in any military operation is the ability for soldiers at the combat level to manage and control their environment, and directly influence the battlefield situation in real time, through decisive actions based on intuitive and sound situational awareness information.
IDSS provides the improved SA needed to achieve greater mission efficiency, and is available in three basic configurations:
- The commander system
- The soldier system
- The tracking system
The system variants allow for flexibility of configurations to meet user and operational requirements. Systems can be upgraded or downgraded in the field as the user requires. A common battery type is used for all three system variants, to ensure accessibility to power, commonality of spares and increased availability during prolonged operations.
THE DELIVERED SYSTEM SOLUTION
The commander system consists of four key modules: the soldier data terminal, the Soldier Interface Unit (SIU), the lightweight integrated harness, and communications equipment.
The soldier data terminal provides:
- Comprehensive situational awareness
- Short range audio contact
- Location of friendly and enemy forces
- Intuitive target identification
- Full reporting and messaging capability
- Full navigation suite
The Soldier Interface Unit (SIU) provides:
- Sensor interface connectivity
- Power management for all peripherals
- High sensitivity GPS
- Digital Magnetic Compass (DMC)
The lightweight integrated harness provides:
- A load carriage for the SDT, SIU and communications equipment
- An integrated, screened cable loom
- Integrated docking station for SDT
- A capability to be worn in conjunction with legacy load carriage equipment and body armour
The communications equipment features are as follows:
- Supports all major makes of SRR and LRR CNR
- The SRR is used to pass location data to friendly users within range
- The LRR is used to provide command and control voice and data through the command structure
- Both the LRR and SRR can be provided as a system solution, or the customers GFE can be integrated into the IDSS
The soldier system replaces the commander's SDT with a small intelligent wrist terminal, with all other modules remaining the same.
The tracking system has no visual display for the user, but still provides location information to other users within range.
IDSS SYSTEM FEATURES
IDSS has a flexible design concept with the following high level parameters:
- Commander system weight of less than 5kg, including battery and SRR
- Soldier system weight of less than 3.5kg, including battery and SRR
- Mission capability of 24hrs on a single system battery charge
- Fully integrated and screened cable system designed to manage EMC and co-siting
- A communications capability of up to two external radios
OTHER CDC BMS SYSTEMS
The generic BMS software 'BattleHawk' developed by CDC is common to all BMS systems provided by CDC. Other CDC BMS systems available include the Battle Hawk Vehicle System (BHVS), and the BattleHawk Command System (BHCS).
BATTLE HAWK VEHICLE SYSTEM (BHVS)
The BattleHawk platform system is a ruggedised computer system designed specifically to meet the harsh environment associated with armoured combat fighting platforms. The system provides situational awareness, navigation and command, and control, through an easy-to-use interface specifically designed to reduce the crew's work load.
BATTLEHAWK COMMAND SYSTEM (BHCS)
The command system is a large format display (typically 20in LCD with integrated touch screen), designed for use in deployed HQ environments. The command system allows viewing of a much larger AOI, and is designed to accommodate multiple communications channels including LAN’s CNRs, satellite links, etc. This creates a communications hub for the receipt of tactical data and command messages.
The command system can drive additional large format displays, allowing other users to access the common recognised operational plot, allow them to plan and review activities and deliver briefings. The BattleHawk command system enables the commander to complete combat planning and mission control prior to and during operations.