Rheinmetall has agreed to set up a joint venture (JV) with Rohde & Schwarz, as part of efforts to position themselves for the future modernisation projects of Germany’s ground forces.

The proposed JV will compete for the German Army’s two procurement projects, mobile tactical communications (MoTaKo) and mobile tactical information network (MoTIV).

Rheinmetall CEO Armin Papperger said: “By joining forces, Rheinmetall and Rohde & Schwarz have formed the ideal team for creating and implementing a digital communication and information management system for the Bundeswehr.

“The planned joint venture will have at its fingertips the full range of expertise needed to reliably implement the MoTaKo and MoTIV projects, with everything derived from a single source. In order to do this, we intend to include other prominent defence contractors in the process.”

"Secure, up-to-date communications solutions play a crucial role in assuring effective command and control in combat operations."

Rheinmetall will own a 74.9% stake in the yet-to-be established JV and the remainder 25.1% will be held by Rohde & Schwarz.

Rohde & Schwarz will be responsible for providing its IP-based system solutions for secure communications and Rheinmetall will supply command systems, cross-functional operator interface and the complete vehicle integration process.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

Commenting on the partnership, Rohde & Schwarz president and COO Peter Riedel said: “Secure, up-to-date communications solutions play a crucial role in assuring effective command and control in combat operations.

“Together with Rheinmetall, we want to assist long-term in the process of modernising the Bundeswehr.”

The total order volume of the MoTaKo and MoTIV projects is likely to be in the mid-ten-figure euro range, with thousands of Bundeswehr vehicles alone earmarked for retrofitting, Rheinmetall stated.