Patria and SIA Unitruck announce JV to support Latvian Armed Forces

28 February 2020 (Last Updated February 28th, 2020 12:28)

Patria and SIA Unitruck have entered a strategic partnership agreement to establish a joint venture (JV) in Latvia.

Patria and SIA Unitruck announce JV to support Latvian Armed Forces
Patria and SIA Unitruck have announced their joint venture in Latvia called SIA Defence Partnership Latvia. Credit: LatvijasArmija.

Patria and SIA Unitruck have entered a strategic partnership agreement to establish a joint venture (JV) in Latvia.

Named as SIA Defence Partnership Latvia, the new JV is majority-owned by Patria (70%) and the remaining stake is held by Unitruck (30%).

Located in Cesis, the new entity will focus on offering services to the Latvian National Armed Forces. The services include maintenance, overhaul, repair, and system integration, as well as logistical operations.

Patria International Support Partnerships business unit president Jukka Holkeri said: “Establishing SIA Defence Partnership Latvia is a part of Patria’s strategy to grow its international maintenance and lifecycle support business.

“This joint venture is a long-term commitment to support Latvia’s National Armed Forces.

“Would Latvia decide to procure Patria 6×6 vehicle platform, we believe SIA Defence Partnership Latvia will be a very capable key contributor to the Latvian security of supply in the programme and for ensuring long-term sustainment of the vehicles.”

Eventually, SIA Defence Partnership Latvia is expected to be included in the Latvian defence mobilisation organisation.

This step will ensure support is extended to Latvia’s comprehensive defence planning and build-up.

In January this year, Finland and Latvia agreed to develop a common armoured wheeled vehicle system.

The technical agreement was signed for development of Patria 6×6-based armoured vehicle.

Patria is 50.1% owned by the state of Finland and 49.9% by Norwegian Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace.

SIA Unitruck specialises in the repair and maintenance of trucks, trailers and other industrial equipment.