MKU offers complete project management for design, development, manufacturing, and integration of protection solutions for Land, Air and Naval platforms using special patented technologies and systems which have been developed over years of R&D efforts.
MKU is uniquely capable of processing both soft and hard armour, either alone or in combination, under the same roof. A team of qualified engineers, certified quality inspectors, weapon specialists, and ex-servicemen in India and Germany have pooled their collective experience and expertise to ensure precise solutions. The 4 stage process followed at MKU is designed to address all queries and examine all criteria required to manufacture and integrate protection solutions as per customer requirements.
Why is lightweight armouring important?
Although steel has been the traditional choice for ballistic protection for quite some time, the changing combat applications demand more protection. The ever-increasing lethality of modern ammunition has raised serious doubts in recent times on the versatility of steel alone to overcome the performance and survivability of expensive vehicles of today. Some of the benefits of using lightweight armour solutions are listed below:
- Low GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight)
- Increased fuel efficiency
- Better power to weight performance ratio
- Higher payload capacity
- Increased inertial energy
- Increased vehicle mobility
- Reasonable maintenance costs with regard to mechanical, structural & operational parameters
- Easy to install
- Higher durability
- Reduced vibration
- Quick adaptability to diverse mission requirements
- Low thermal signature
- Low in-cabin air-conditioning requirements
- Rich acoustic properties
Complete project management
Experts from MKU’s team first assess the customer’s protection requirements and the theater of operation of the platform that is to be protected, including its operational restrictions. MKU then prepares and delivers a systematic report on its assessment of the threat, platform capability and operational restrictions.
Armouring in a land vehicle is essential for providing protection from a variety of weapons and maintaining operational independence in a hostile environment. Add-on armor can be used to effectively enhance the security level of existing and new platforms. MKU’s lightweight armor solutions help reduce the added weight penalty, which allows even lighter vehicles to achieve a higher level of protection without losing maneuverability.
Safeguarding the highly trained aircrews and sophisticated machines is the most important factor, that’s why we at MKU developed unique technology Modulare Schutz Technik for armouring of helicopters keeping their multi role operations in mind. It uses special kits comprising of precision engineered composite armour panels along with patented aero-grade attachment systems. These kits are simply installed upon the existing structure of the helicopter without requiring any structural changes or tampering with the Aerodynamics of the platform. Depending upon the mission requirements, these kits can be easily and quickly deployed in, or removed from the aircraft either in part or in full without the requirement if any special tools.
Providing Integrated Ballistic Protection in all critical areas of a naval vessel by matching the complex contours of the ship’s shape is a difficult task in itself. MKU provides customized light armor solutions for all types of small and large naval vessels, including hovercraft, frigates, corvettes, OPVs, yachts, petrol boats, FICs and RIBs. MKU’s end-to-end services are most prominent for integration and customized solutions to most of the threat scenarios prevailing at present. Ballistic protection can be integrated into the vessel during construction or added later, depending on the customer’s requirements.
Threat assessment and platform evaluation-
Experts from MKU’s team first assess the customer’s protection requirements and the theater of operation of the platform that is to be protected, including its operational restrictions. MKU then prepares and delivers a systematic report on its assessment of the threat, platform capability, and operational restrictions.
Locations and areas for light weight armour protection:
- Wheel House
- Doors & Windows
- Command & Information Centers
- External Weapon Positions
- Fuel Tank
- Missile Launch Silos
- Ammunition Storage Compartments
- Gunner Ports
- Engine Room
- Other Critical Areas
Threats & Standards Covered
MKU offers armor solution against almost all prevalent Ammunitions and Threat Standards:
- Fragments from anti-ship missiles
- Armour piercing rounds from aircraft cannon
- Heavy Machine Guns
- Small arms rounds
- Explosive blasts
Versatile range of Light weight armor technology solutions by MKU:
- POLYSHIELD- Made using UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene), Polyshield panels demonstrate high buoyancy and offer the multi-hit capability. These panels are resistant to cracks, UV radiation, moisture, acid, oil and corrosion and have exceptional FST (Fire, Smoke, Toxicity) properties. Polyshield panels offer protection against NIJ 0108.01 Level IIIA to III+ and EN 1522 Level FB-4 to FB-7.
- FLEXAR- Manufactured using Aramid fibers and special rubber materials, Flexar panels are light weight and flexible. They are resistant to corrosion & chemicals, are water repellent and can perform in high temperature zones. They can also be used as ‘Fragmentation Blankets’ for floors and back of the vehicle seats. Flexar panel offer protection against Up to NIJ 0108.01 Level IIIA and EN 1522 Level FB-4.
- CERAZONE- Cerazone solution from MKU consists of a wide range of Ceramics like Alumina, Sic, B4C etc as per the mission requirement. They are cost effective, offer multi-hit capability, and can be pre-engineered into different shapes. Cerazone panels offer protection against most current threats including NIJ 0108.01 Level IV, STANAG 4569 AEP-55 (Level II to IV) and EN 1522 Level FB-5 to FB-7.
- RIGAR- Rigid RIGAR panels by MKU, are made using aramid fibers. These panels can be cut into different shapes using special tools and provide good spall properties along with resistance to Projectiles. Stand-alone RIGAR panels provide protection up to NIJ 0108.01 Level III A and EN 1522 Level FB 4.
- FRAGPRO– FRAGPRO blankets from MKU provide protection against fragments generated from the blast of grenades & projectiles. Manufactured using Aramid fabrics and encased in water-repellent nylon coverings, they offer excellent protection and resistance to moisture. These can be used as wall curtains, floor blankets and for various other applications.
- SPALLIN- MKU offers UHMWPE, Aramid and E-Glass spall liners for combat vehicles, ships and aircraft. These not only provide protection from steel fragments and splinters but also provide excellent reinforcement to the areas and parts of the vehicle that carry structural load due to the high compressive properties of the material. Glass spall liner offers high resistance to corrosion, are lightweight and provides good ballistic protection. SOFT ARMOR spall liners offer protection against 1.1 gr FSP, 2.8 gr FSP, 7.62 mm FSP, 12.7 mm FSP (tested in accordance with STANAG 2920).
- TRANSARM- MKU transparent armor (BP Glass) solutions are built to offer protection against the highest threat levels (in no spall configurations). These are manufactured to strict quality standards and are tested for optical distortion, secondary image separation, boiling, radiation, moisture, temperature cycles and ballistic performance. They can withstand temperature changes from -40°C to +72°C and are available for a wide range of protection levels. Transarm panels offer protection against NIJ 0108.01 Level IIIA to IV, EN 1522 Level FB-4 to FB-7 and STANAG 4569 Level I to IV.
MKU ballistic solutions are IMO and MIL-STD 810G compliant which can be mounted from the inside or outside. Multi-Hit Enabled Solution (AEP-55) are fasteners specially developed for naval vessels. MKU has a large number of unique, distinctive, and patented attachment systems and fittings for the purpose of integrating and fitting its lightweight armour kits onto land, air, and sea platforms. These attachment systems have been tested rigorously to withstand the extreme pressures of the platform’s maneuvers under extreme conditions.