Rheinmetall and Rohde & Schwarz form JV RRS-MITCOS

1 November 2018 (Last Updated November 1st, 2018 10:02)

Rheinmetall has formed a new joint venture (JV) with Rohde & Schwarz to bid for the German Armed Forces, Bundeswehr’s 'Digitization of Land-Based Operations' (D-LBO) programme.

Rheinmetall has formed a new joint venture (JV) with Rohde & Schwarz to bid for the German Armed Forces, Bundeswehr’s ‘Digitization of Land-Based Operations’ (D-LBO) programme.

Named Rheinmetall Rohde & Schwarz Military IT and Communications Solutions (RRS-MITCOS), the JV has commenced operations in Berlin, Germany.

The new company will help meet the German Military’s requirement for integrated operational and communications systems.

While Rheinmetall owns a 74.9% stake in the JV, the remaining 25.1% is held by Rohde & Schwarz.

Led by Peter Obermark and Udo Stoll, the JV began operations following completion of the approval process of European and national competition authorities, as well as entry into the commercial register.

“The new company is now open to incorporating the expertise and solutions of additional partners, which are expected to be included in subsequent project phases.”

RRS-MITCOS has been set up under a wide-ranging partnership that started between the two companies in March last year.

D-LBO is a premier modernisation project that is expected to provide the German Army with the future advanced digital command system.

The programme supersedes two previous German Army projects, namely the Mobile taktische Kommunikation (MoTaKo) and the Mobiler taktischer Informations-verbund (MoTIV).

The new company is now open to incorporating the expertise and solutions of additional partners, which are expected to be included in subsequent project phases.

It will help retrofit and upgrade thousands of vehicles in the Bundeswehr inventory with new and modern technology.