Patria to supply AMVXP 8×8 chassis to Slovak Republic

22 November 2017 (Last Updated November 22nd, 2017 11:18)

The Government of Slovakia has selected Finland’s Patria to supply armoured modular vehicle (AMV) 8x8 chassis for the Slovakian defence forces.

The Government of Slovakia has selected Finland’s Patria to supply armoured modular vehicle (AMV) 8×8 chassis for the Slovakian defence forces.

Patria’s new prototype version of the AMVXP 8×8 chassis has been delivered to support a joint Slovakian-Finnish 8×8 infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) development programme.

The vehicle will undergo testing in Slovakia and Finland under the IFV initiative.

Slovakia intends to procure up to 81 IFVs between 2018 and 2024 as part of an ongoing military modernisation programme.

"We will develop, together with EVPU, a new version of an amphibious AMVXP integrated with Turra weapon system, fulfilling requirements of both Slovakian and Finnish Defence Forces."

In addition to Patria Land Systems, the Slovak and Finnish Ministries of Defence have selected Konstrukta Defence as the prime contractor and EVPU as the weapon system supplier for the development.

Patria Land business unit president Mika Kari said: “During this programme, we will develop, together with EVPU, a new version of an amphibious AMVXP integrated with Turra weapon system, fulfilling requirements of both Slovakian and Finnish Defence Forces.

“We have had continuous production in our manufacturing network since 2003, which creates capability to short lead time deliveries.

“We have also a solid and strong experience of technology transfer programmes and localisation of manufacturing of vehicles, which creates work and business opportunities in Slovakia, when the serial delivery programme will take place.”

Patria noted that the AMVXP 8×8 vehicle includes Nato and EU proven solutions, which are capable of fulfilling the customer’s requirements.

Patria currently employs 2,800 staff and has operations in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Estonia, Poland, the UAE, US and South Africa.

The State of Finland owns 50.1% stake in Patria, while the remaining 49.9% is owned by Norway-based firm Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace.