The Indian Army has approached six private sector IT majors to develop a communications backbone network worth Rs100bn ($2.2bn) in a move to bring the domestic IT industry into defence production.

Security-classified expressions of interest (EoI) were sent to five private companies and three public sector undertakings for developing a tactical communications system (TCS), army communications chief Lieutenant General P Mohapatra said.

The EoI recipients were required to respond within two months, along with their estimated capital expenditure for designing and developing the system.

Two companies will be selected to build a prototype of the TCS and the better of the two will manufacture the seven TCS systems required by the Indian Army.

Under Defence Procurement Procedure of 2008, MoD will fund 80% of the development costs, while the selected company will fund the remaining 20%.

TCS is a network-centric backbone that connects crucial systems including the sensors, the shooters, decision systems and command hierarchy in the electronic battlefield.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The TCS project was sanctioned on 18 May 2009 to bolster the mobile and cellular network of the Indian Army’s voice and data communications during battle, according to the Business Standard.