The Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and MBDA Missile Systems joint venture (JV) L&T MBDA Missile Systems (LTMMSL) has set up a missile integration facility in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

LTMMSL has established the 16,000m² assembly, inert integration (without explosives) and testing facility for missile sub-systems and missile weapon launch systems in a special economic zone at Coimbatore.

The move comes as the company focuses on domestic and global markets.

From this year, the new missile integration facility will start the deliveries of weapon systems using test equipment such as missile launchers and airframe segments, including control actuation units for export markets.

L&T MBDA Missile Systems chairman J D Patil said: “L&T MBDA Missile Systems has been working proactively to offer advanced missiles and missile systems to the Indian Armed Forces through domestic production.

“The creation of this new integration facility at Coimbatore is the first step in this direction. We are showcasing some of these next-gen offerings at the DEFEXPO20 to be held at Lucknow.”

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

At its new facility, LTMMSL will build complete missile systems for the Indian Armed Forces.

L&T MBDA Missile Systems vice-chairman and board member Pasquale Di Bartolomeo said: “The setting up of this new state-of-the-art facility in Coimbatore is an exciting and highly significant milestone for the L&T MBDA Missile Systems joint venture and for the Indian defence industry sector.

“With the technical and human capabilities offered by this site, India will be ideally placed to offer its armed forces and the export market the very latest generation of defence equipment technology.”

Going forward, the JV will supply the Exocet MM 40 Block 3 anti-ship missile, and an Indian-designed, developed and manufactured fifth-generation anti-tank guided missile (ATGM5) to the country’s armed forces.

Additionally, LTMMSL will supply a short-range surface-to-air missile system (SRSAM) to the Indian Navy.

The JV was established by L&T and MBDA in February 2017 for the development of missiles and weapon systems in India for the armed forces.

L&T owns a 51% stake in LTMMSL, while the remaining 49% stake is held by MBDA.