Leonardo forms helicopter joint venture with Algerian MDN

27 March 2019 (Last Updated March 27th, 2019 11:42)

Leonardo and the Algerian Ministry of National Defence (MDN) have announced the formation of a joint venture for the domestic assembly, sale and support of helicopters.

Leonardo and the Algerian Ministry of National Defence (MDN) have announced the formation of a joint venture for the domestic assembly, sale and support of helicopters.

Headquartered at the new facility in Aïn Arnat, Algeria, the joint venture company is 51% owned by the Algerian Government and the remaining 49% will be held by Leonardo.

The new company will assemble, sell and maintain various helicopter models for the MDN and other customers.

Additionally, it will provide technical support, training services and capabilities for customers.

The helicopters are intended for various uses such as transport, medical evacuation, surveillance, and control. They are mainly intended to meet Algeria’s national requirements and the export market.

“This result demonstrates the company’s reliability as a partner and its capability to meet demanding requirements and deliver high-quality, advanced products.”

According to the company, the helicopter facility will be operational as of 2021.

In a statement, Leonardo said: “The establishment of the joint venture marks a major achievement in the solid collaboration with Algeria that Leonardo has strengthened in years.

“This result demonstrates the company’s reliability as a partner and its capability to meet demanding requirements and deliver high-quality, advanced products. Leonardo is now ready to support Algeria’s plan to play a significant role in the industrial aeronautical sector.”

In August 2016, an industrial and trade partnership agreement was signed between MDN and the company.

The partnership was for the establishment of a joint company to manufacture light and medium-weight helicopters at an industrial site in Aïn Arnat.

Leonardo had plans to initially produce three different AgustaWestland helicopter types after the completion of the facility.