Rheinmetall has secured a contract to supply a variety of 60mm mortar ammunition to an unnamed international customer.
Rheinmetall Denel Munition (RDM), the company’s subsidiary in South Africa, will deliver conventional 60mm, long-range 60mm and advanced 60mm patrol mortar ammunition to the customer.
Deliveries are set to be completed by the end of next year.
RDM focuses on manufacturing selected munitions and explosive-related products for armed forces and law enforcement agencies. Rheinmetall Defence of Germany holds a 51% stake in the company, while the remaining 49% is owned by Denel SOC of South Africa.
RDM is exploring new technologies to improve its mortar portfolio.
RDM mortar product manager Frans Landsberg said: “RDM is collaborating with various partners in order to boost the guidance function in our range of our 120mm mortar ammunition.”
“In order for us to meet the needs of our customers we need to enhance our capabilities, as we are one of the leading pioneers in indirect fire.”
Currently, the RDM portfolio includes 60mm, 81mm and 120mm mortar ammunition, all equipped with insensitive high explosive (IHE) warhead with pre-formed fragmentation (PFF).
RDM CEO Jan-Patrick Helmsen said: “We will continue to push the envelope to ensure we stay ahead of the pack in technology and innovation.”
Last month, Rheinmetall secured a more than €2bn contract to supply 218 Lynx Infantry Fighting Vehicles (IFV) to Hungary. The deal also includes the delivery of nine Buffalo armoured recovery vehicles.