L&T and MBDA to co-produce missile systems for Indian military


Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and MBDA have established a joint venture for the development of missiles and weapon systems in India for the country's armed forces.

The JV, named L&T MBDA Missile Systems, will be 51% owned by L&T, while the remaining 49% would be held by MBDA.

Initially, L&T MBDA Missile Systems will develop and supply fifth-generation anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM5s), missiles for coastal batteries and high-speed target drones.

L&T MBDA Missile Systems will be incorporated later this year, following the receipt of necessary approvals.

The JV is said to operate from a dedicated work centre, which will include pyrotechnical integration and final checkout facilities.

L&T Group executive chairman A M Naik said: “We have been trusted partners to DRDO and the Indian Navy, delivering complete weapon systems and platforms, command control and sensor systems, designed, developed and manufactured in India for over three decades.

“Over this period we have worked closely with Ministry of Defence (MoD) and its different arms in jointly developing and delivering cutting-edge defence solutions."

“Over this period we have worked closely with Ministry of Defence (MoD) and its different arms in jointly developing and delivering cutting-edge defence solutions.”

L&T said that it has been delivering launch systems, fire control systems and airframes / sub-systems for various indigenous weapon programmes as development partners and production agency to DRDO and Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs).

Both companies will together deliver complete missile systems to meet the requirements of the Indian armed forces under DPP 2016.

In addition, L&T and MBDA have co-developed major subsystems involving complex technologies and sophisticated weapon systems, such as MICA missile launchers and airframe segments, including control actuation units for Indian MoD orders.


Image: Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and MBDA sign a joint venture agreement. Photo: courtesy of MBDA.